THE STPSO is currently accepting applications for the FALL 2018 Citizen's Academy. The next academy will be held August 21, 2018 - September 18, 2018.
WHAT IS IT?
The Citizen's Academy is a FREE, 21-hour block of instruction, sponsored by the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office, designed to give citizens knowledge about how your Sheriff’s Office operates, our policies, procedures, programs, and challenges. In addition, you will be introduced to the Sheriff’s staff and learn about their responsibilities and enforcement efforts, and trends in law enforcement.
Participants in each session will be asked to commit to meeting approximately 2-3 hours, two nights a week for four weeks. Participants must attend a minimum of 80 percent of the classes to graduate. This is a great opportunity to meet your sheriff deputies, fellow citizens, and other members of the law enforcement profession to learn why we do what we do and how we accomplish it.
Classes will be held at our Training Academy complex located in Pearl River and at various other facilities.
WHO MAY ATTEND?
Citizens at least 21 years of age, with no serious criminal history, and who live in the Parish of St. Tammany are encouraged to attend. Civic and business leaders, Neighborhood Watch, and those interested in making our community a better place to live are encouraged to apply. Note: A background check will be conducted on all applicants prior to acceptance into the Citizen's Academy.
WHY SHOULD I ATTEND?
We believe informed citizens will enhance public safety, make informed decisions about how to protect themselves and their businesses, understand law enforcement strategies to problem solving, and truly understand and appreciate the importance of the law enforcement-public partnership.
We hope the graduates of the academy will take their new knowledge out into the community, educate others when the opportunity arises and make decisions, which affect the Sheriff’s Office and St. Tammany Parish as a whole.
We also hope that this program will ultimately assist in the reduction of crime through deeper support of the Sheriff’s Office. This added support and confidence will result in a commitment by the community to report crime, report suspicious activity, comply with security measures, and maintain involvement in neighborhood groups.
CITIZEN'S ACADEMY GUIDELINES
1. Classes and activities will start promptly at the designated time on the course schedule. Please make every effort to arrive at least 15 minutes early and be prepared to participate.
2. Classes will be held at the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff Office Training Facility unless otherwise specified in a course schedule.
3. Graduation from the Academy will require attendance at a minimum of 80 percent of the classes to graduate..
4. Casual comfortable clothing is appropriate for all aspects of the training. Shorts, tank tops, and sandals are exceptions to this rule, and are not permitted.
5. No examinations will be administered during the course, but is suggested that notes be taken for retention and reference purposes.
6. Students are encouraged to participate in the classroom discussions and offer their perspective on the subjects under discussion.
7. Evaluations will be conducted throughout the Academy to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the instruction and improve future classes.
TENTATIVE COURSE CURRICULUM
1. Sheriff and Command Staff. Overview of the course and Training Division Academy and tour.
2. Patrol Operations
4. Special Operations: Search and Rescue, Motorcycle Unit, and Reserve Division. Hurricane and Special Event planning.
6. Firearms Training Simulator - "Shoot - Don't Shoot"
7. Corrections. Overview and facility tour.
(Subject to change)